- This policy covers how Copart, Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Copart") treats personal information that Copart collects and receives, including information related to your past use of Copart services. Personal information is information about you that is personally identifiable, such as your name, address, email address, or phone number, and that is not otherwise publicly available.
- This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that Copart does not own or control, or to people that Copart does not employ or manage.
Information Collection and Use
- Copart collects personal information when you register with Copart and when you use Copart services.
- When you register with Copart we may ask for information such as your name, address, email address, phone number, credit card information, business license information, driver's license information, zip code, and other financial information. Once you register with Copart and log in to use our services, you are not anonymous to us.
- Copart collects information about your transactions with us, including information regarding items you bid on.
- Copart automatically receives and records information on our server logs regarding your sessions on Copart websites or through an Access Device (defined below) application (a "Copart App""), and those of its subsidiaries, and related cookie information.
- If you have first provided permission through your Access Device, Copart may obtain location based information from technologies like GPS, Wi-Fi, or cell tower proximity. You are able to withdraw your permission for Copart to acquire location based information from your Access Device through your device settings. The Copart App can use the geo-location features (GPS or network-based) to support your use of Copart services and provide information about nearby vehicle auctions.
- Copart uses information for the following general purposes: to contact you, to facilitate bidding, buying, and selling of items by you through Copart and its affiliated companies, to transfer title and ownership of items bought and sold by you, and to comply with laws and regulations related to purchases and sales of items by you through Copart.
Information Sharing and DisclosureCopart does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies except to:
- Provide products or services you've requested,
- When we haveyour permission,
- Or under the following circumstances:
- We provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Copart under confidentiality agreements. These companies may use your personal information to help Copart communicate with you about offers from Copart. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information.
- We provide the information in response to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims, or upon receipt of a request from law enforcement;
- Copart does not otherwise share personal information about website or Copart App users with third parties unless doing so is appropriate to carry out a user's request or it reasonably believes that doing so is legally required or is in Copart's interest to protect its property or other legal rights or the rights or property of others;
- We transfer information about you to sellers of items purchased by you, to buyers of items sold by you and to their service providers that they may retain to facilitate the assignment of items to Copart sales venues, and to state and federal regulatory agencies as part of the title or ownership transfer process.
International Visitors and Customers
- This website is hosted in the United States. If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that you are transferring your personal data to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws as the EU and by providing your personal data you consent to:
- The transfer of your personal data to the United States as indicated above.
Safe Harbor Certification
- Copart adheres to the Safe Harbor principles negotiated between the United States and the EU, and the United States and Switzerland, regarding data protection for customer data and personal data Copart receives when you register for its services or use its website or a Copart App. Accordingly, when visiting this website, using a Copart App, or providing personal data to Copart, Copart has taken steps to ensure the adequate protection of the processing of your personal data. For more information about the Safe Harbor principles, please visit the U.S. Department of Commerce website at https://export.gov/safeharbor/.
Online Tracking Information and "Do Not Track" signals
- When you visit this site, other parties such as third-party advertising partners and analytics providers may collect information about your online activity over time and across websites. This information may include identifiers that may permit those parties to serve tailored ads to your device. Note that your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a "Do Not Track" signal to websites and online services you visit. There is no consensus among industry participants as to what "Do Not Track" means in this context. Like many websites and online services, Copart currently does not alter its practices when it receives a "Do Not Track" signal from a visitor's browser.
- We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to Copart services and your account with Copart, including but not limited to notifications, service announcements, and administrative messages without offering you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving them. Should you choose not to receive certain communications your access to or use of certain services may not be possible.
- Copart may store your account information active in our databases indefinitely following the termination of your account with Copart to the maximum extent permitted by law.
Confidentiality and Security
- We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
- We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to protect personal information about you.
- If Copart learns of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using this website, a Copart App, or providing personal information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of this website or a Copart App. Copart may post a notice on our website if a security breach occurs. Copart may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice) you should notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Copart takes your security seriously and takes reasonable steps to protect your information. No data transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. The following is a summary of the measures Copart takes to protect your information and descriptions of ways we implement these measures for different types of information you may provide to us:
Secure Socket Layer (SSL) -Copart uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption when transmitting certain kinds of information, such as financial services information or payment information. An icon resembling a padlock is displayed on the bottom of most browsers window during SSL transactions that involve credit cards and other forms of payment. Any time Copart asks you for a credit card number for payment or for verification purposes, it will be SSL encrypted. The information you provide will be stored securely on our servers. Once you choose to store or enter your credit card number on Copart, it will not be displayed back to you in its entirety when you retrieve or edit it in the future. Instead of the entire number, you will only see asterisks and either the first four digits or the last four digits of your number.
Vendors and Partners -Copart works with vendors and partners to protect the security and privacy of user information.
Employee and Contractor Access to Information -Copart limits access to personal information about you to those employees who we reasonably believe need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
Education and Training for Employees -Copart has implemented a company-wide education and training program about security that is required of every Copart employee.
Update Your Information or Pose a Question or Suggestion
- If you would like to update or correct any information that you have provided to use through your use of Copart service or otherwise, please log in to your account on the Copart websites and edit the information under "My Account". Additionally, you can contact Member Services at email@example.com for assistance.
14185 Dallas Parkway, Suite 300
Dallas, TX 75254
Effective Date: October 29, 2004
Last Updated Date: June 10, 2015
4834-5309-9807, v. 2